January 2, 2012 Leave a comment
2011 has been a lot of things but boring. One feature that I was really happy to add to The Idea-smithy was the Ideamarked section. Interesting links dot the internet and I come across plenty of them in my daily trawling and my daily feeds.Sharing them on Facebook is easy-peasy but that only reaches the Facebook users on my network. Bringing the month’s links over to the blog made it possible for me to share it with the readers here and also credit all my friends & followers who shared a link. Also, it has been interesting to see just what gripped our fancy each month.
I spent so much time looking through those links on 31st that I couldn’t actually put up this post on the last day of the year as I planned. But a couple of days late, I’m still very happy to bring you the best things that The Idea-smithy spotted in 2011:
- January: ‘1000 Life Lessons or How to stay alive forever‘
- February: ‘The Ten Commandments of telecasting film industry award shows‘
- March: ‘Date a girl who reads‘
- April:“Sadhu beedi, nalla swadulu beedi” – old-school advertising for Sadhu beedi
- April: “To Afridi, With Love” A Pakistani journalist welcomes their cricket team back after the World Cup 2011 performance, with a letter that touched hearts on both sides of the border.
- May: As prices rise, multiplex service standards crash. An aggrieved customer writes them a letter of goodbye.
- June: ‘If Historical Figures Endorsed Modern Products‘
- July: A list of countries that an Indian passport-holder could travel to, visa-free. I didn’t realize there were so many of them!
- September: A hilarious email chain that’s been modified and edited from the original article, for sometime now: ‘London Times Obituary Of The Late Mr.Common Sense‘
- October: Apple founder, Steve Jobs passed away. The products he pioneered have touched many of our lives in different ways, whether it was the iPod that was the first thing you saved up for & bought with your own money or, like me, if you were lucky enough to have a Mac for your first computer. Fans, detractors aside, here’s what stays with me – Steve Jobs’ 2005 Stanford Commencement Address.
- October: ‘Social Networks Defined Through Peeing‘
- November: Hail the motherland of idlis, software dreams & kitschy Kollywood songs! This month’s music craze – Kolaveri Di
- December: ‘A Very Calvin & Hobbes Christmas‘: Fans of Calvin and Hobbes, remember his winter sculptures? Here’s a hilarious video that recreates many of them to the tune of ‘Winter Wonderland’!