I Wear: Hipster In Progress
January 14, 2013 Leave a comment
‘Hipster’ is a term I see thrown about in the Western pop-culture sources that I frequent. I’m yet to fully understand the meaning of this, especially in the Indian context so let’s just say my perceptions are evolving. From what I see, hipster isn’t a complimentary term. On the other hand, that’s probably just one viewpoint. Hippies were thought to be unsavory in the 70s but I’m pretty sure I’d have been a hippie had I been around then.
Hipster sounds to me, like a millennium-plus version of hippie and that’s not just because of the first three letters. Counter-culture? Rebellious? Intelligent but too cool to prove it? Ironic in a way that few people get? Fusion that clashes and complements all in one? Here’s my interpretation. The weather was cool enough to co-operate (read grey, skin-dulling and cold).
Going by this infographic, my look is probably closest to 2004 but the scarf seems to put me closer to 2007. What do you think?
- Blue and white tartan sweater: Athens flea market
- White workshirt: Allen Solly
- Black skinny trousers: Mango
- Ladybird print neckscarf: Linking Road, Bandra
- Zebra print canvas shoes: Lifestyle
- Abstract brooch/scarf pin: Alfa, Irla market
- Greek key earring: Athens flea market
- Postbox red lipstick: Maybelline